This is my (American) grandmother's recipe. I'm making it for the first time this Christmas...
- 250g shortcrust pastry
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and mashed pumpkin
- 1 tin (410g) evaporated milk
- Line a 23cm pie plate with the pastry
- Brush sides and base with a little egg white
- Beat eggs, sugar, salt and spices together
- Add pumpkin and evaporated milk, blending well
- Pour mixture uncooked into pastry shell
- Bake at 220C for 15 mins
- Reduce heat to 180C and cook for 40 mins or until filling is set (test with skewer)
I used brown sugar; my other option would be to use raw sugar.
Update on how it tastes.